Footage of sickening assault on teenager goes viral

Date: Tuesday 13th February 2018

POLICE are reminding the public to “moderate their comments” on social media after footage of a teenager being attacked in Penrith went viral.

A 13-year-old boy was assaulted at the town’s Sainsbury’s car park by another youth at about 9pm last Monday. Police say they have identified the 16-year-old involved in the incident recorded in the video and he was voluntarily interviewed this week.

Robin Armstrong, a Facebook vlogger with a following of nearly 700,000, shared a video of the incident with his social media followers. It showed the boy being punched numerous times.

The caption on the video says: “Here is a nearly 17-year-old scumbag brutally attacking an innocent 13-year-old child while his mates watch and video. This happened in Penrith, Cumbria. Share this video worldwide and help me spread the message we won’t stand for this!”

Mr. Armstrong speaks to the camera in the video, which also features footage of the assault. In it, he says: “Let’s continue this — go share this video, make it viral, make it famous for all the wrong reasons.”

The video has been viewed 951,000 times and shared by more than 29,000 people.

The footage has prompted nearly 3,500 comments, such as: “If that was my son he was doing that to, I wouldn’t be responsible for my actions. Hope the young lad is ok,” and “There’s just no need for behaving like a common thug, and the clown filming it is as bad.”

A spokesman for Cumbria police said the investigation is progressing and a file will be prepared for the Crown Prosecution Service before a final charging decision is made.

“Members of the public viewing and commenting on this video should be aware that there is an investigation ongoing and should moderate their comments accordingly,” said the spokesman. Cumbria police released a statement last week appealing for witnesses to the incident to contact them on the 101 number.