“True gentleman” dies shortly after visiting grandson’s grave

Date: Monday 31st December 2018

TRIBUTES have been paid to a Penrith man who died peacefully at the age of 87 shortly after visiting his grandson’s grave.

Jack Dulson, of Lonsdale Court, was a keen cyclist and used an electric bike to get around. He had visited the grave at Penrith of his grandson — also called Jack — who died in a car accident in December, 2015.

Mr Dulson was born at Radcliffe, Greater Manchester, the only child of Edward and Janey Dulson, and later trained as a vehicle mechanic. In 1949 he did his national service with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) and went off to Egypt to work on every type of Army vehicle.

During this time he covered for the Royal Signals, usually working on armoured vehicles and wireless operating vehicles, and travelled all the way down the Suez Canal.

He met his future wife, Joyce, at the Palais de Dance, Bury, and they were married on 12th July, 1952, at St Thomas’s Church, Bury, spending their honeymoon in Blackpool.

In 1957, he came to work for Keiser’s Garage, Southend Road, Penrith, repairing tractors and agricultural vehicles. They initially lived in the town for four years, before moving to a bigger property in Langwathby where they lived for 50 years.

They had three children — Susan Rylands and Peter Dulson, who both live in Penrith, and John Dulson, who lives in Langwathby.

When John left school he served his time with his father, who was transport manager at W. P. Monkhouse and Sons, which was an agricultural feed mill in Langwathby — Jack helped to install the machinery and assemble the prefabricated building when it was being built.

In his spare time he was keen on growing vegetables and also kept hens and ducks for eggs. He also enjoyed watching cricket and for many years was the volunteer groundsman at Edenhall Cricket Club and a member of Langwathby May Day committee.

Jack was also very community minded, helping in the village with jobs such as repairing seats, putting rubber cushion flooring in the play area, erecting goal posts and keeping the bus shelter in good repair. His wife died in January, 2015.

As well as their three children, Jack leaves behind John’s wife, Lyn, Peter’s wife, Maureen, Susan’s husband, Kenny, five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

John described his father as a “great man” and Peter said he was a “true gentleman”.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Co-op Funeralcare, Spencer Street, Carlisle.