Long-standing estate worker who quietly “got on with things”
ERIC Brunskill, who died peacefully at home in Carleton Place, Penrith, spent most of his working life on the Hutton-in-the-Forest estate.
He was one of a family of 10 children of George and Isabella, known as “Maddie”, Brunskill, and was born on 10th January, 1938 at Salkeld Dykes.
The family moved to Udford Farm, at Edenhall, and Eric went to the Boys National School in Penrith which involved a one-and-a-half-mile walk to catch the bus for school.
During this time he did a lot of jobs around the farm and so after leaving school at 15 he was an experienced farm worker.
When celebrating his 24th birthday at a YFC dance at Crosby Ravensworth, he met Edith Johnson and they were married in Appleby Church in October, 1964.
Two years later they moved to Hutton-in-the-Forest, where Eric worked on Lord Inglewood’s farm. They put down roots there, where they lived in several different houses before leaving in 2003 to retire in Penrith.
At Hutton, Eric was a great supporter of Hutton Marr School, now closed, and was a member of the Hutton End village hall committee, where he organised numerous domino drives.
He was also a sidesman and later verger at St James Church, Hutton-in-the-Forest, where he was central to the life of the church, and where he is buried.
Never someone to like a fuss, he was very well regarded by those who knew him and respected for the quiet way in which he “got on with things”.
He and Edith had three sons — Leslie, of Plumpton; Andrew, of Alberta, Canada; and Michael, of Carleton village, Penrith; as well as a number of grandchildren.