Blues look for home comforts

Date: Friday 20th October 2017

PENRITH AFC will search for home comforts in the next fortnight as they play three consecutive Northern League Division I games at Frenchfield Park.

Newton Aycliffe are first up this afternoon for the Blues, who progressed in the Cumberland Cup on Wednesday with a 4-0 victory over Crown Newlaithes.

However, that win came on the back of two further league defeats. Division I leaders Morpeth Town trounced Jim Nichols’ men 6-0 on Saturday, before Team Northumbria inflicted a 12th defeat of the campaign two days later on Tyneside.

“Saturday is massive,” said Nichols, whose side sit third from bottom of the table four points from safety. “It is really important we get back to winning ways in the league. Obviously we beat Washington the other week, played really well, and then just didn’t turn up against Morpeth

“We went to Team Northumbria on Monday and played all right, and we have obviously got to take that into the (Aycliffe) game.

“I have said to the lads, if you play like you did on Monday, nine times out of 10 you will win games of football. But at the moment we are in a bit of a rut and things don’t quite just go for you.

“If you put the effort in and try and play football the right way, things will turn, and I am sure they will.”

Striker and top scorer Jonny Murray is away on holiday for 21⁄2 weeks, during which he will serve a suspension after being sent off against Morpeth.

Penrith host Consett next Saturday before entertaining Shildon on 1st November.

l It was confirmed this week that versatile Jamie Street has left the club.



A number of Penrith chances went begging before Ben Dibb-Fuller put the hosts 1-0 up on 38 minutes.

More opportunities were missed after the break and Team Northumbria doubled their lead on 55 minutes through Joshua Bynoe.

Penrith handed debuts to a hat-trick of recent North East-based arrivals — central midfielder Matt Bowles, winger Dan Bennett and striker Ollie McEwan. Nichols hoped all would feature in the coming weeks.



Wide man Sean Taylor netted a rapid hat-trick to set leaders Morpeth Town on the way to an emphatic victory.

He nodded home at the back post with just 11 minutes on the clock, completing a 14-minute individual treble with a delightful chip and another header. Liam Henderson made it 4-0 to Morpeth seven minutes before half-time.

Penrith struggled to land a glove on their confident visitors. And home front man Jonny Murray was sent off after receiving his second yellow card during a melee which followed a tangle between opposing number eights Adam Main and Keith Graydon.

Substitute Luke Carr scored from the spot on 73 minutes after being felled in the area by Dean Crozier. Ben Sayer completed the scoring after a mix-up in the home defence.